summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Farm Cats

We have three cats in residence - Cricket, Onnie, and Missy - Cricket and Onnie are sisters and Missy is the daughter of one (which one?) of the sisters.
I never wanted a cat, let alone three, but when a little girl asks with hopeful eyes and an apprehensive smile, a Mother relents and says, 'OK'.  Becky got the OK and brought home two, grey kittens from a friend's litter.  Soon the two kittens had four kittens each.  Most of the kittens were adopted.  A visit to the vet for our three quickly followed.
two dogs, two cats
Years later, I am so pleased to have these felines as a part of our life.  I was wrong to previously malign these soft, lovable creatures.  They are friendly, get along tremendously with our two canine companions, and are just fun to have around.












Buddy and Cricket playing footsie






Each cat has her own personality.  Cricket is Glenn's 'pet'.  She is the friendliest of the three and craves attention.  She loves to curl up close to Jake's tummy to take a nap.  Onnie is a loner, but allows me to bestow my attentiveness on her at her choosing.  Missy is the 'scardy' cat.  She comes out to eat, but spends most of the day hiding out in the barn - her private lair unknown to all.



Every morning all three cats wait for me at the main door of the house, expecting my appearance, knowing that I will come out and serve them their breakfast.  I do.  They saunter off, tails up and steps ahead of me, looking back occasionally to make sure I am still following.  At the barn, I scoop out their favorite 'Chow' on top of the aluminum garbage can lid covering the storage of their grub.  Once they finish eating, each goes on her own and separate way.


Cricket, Onnie, and Missy are outdoor cats.  All three are not great mousers, but I do find an occasional dead vole (head removed), chipmunk tail, or bird (again, dead) lying at the door.  I am all for dead voles and a deceased mouse or two would be nice,  but I wish they would use a bit more discretion with the more desirable wildlife.

When I weed, the two sisters keep me company, usually on the sly, from underneath a bush or very leafy perennial.  Sometimes I catch a glimpse of them as I go about my work and smile.  I am glad they are near.



Like all cats I'm sure, ours are very entertaining - their antics, like playing with a grasshopper; their sleeping habits, weird locations and positions; their expressions, interested or indifferent. 









All in all, the resident Homo sapiens at Mountain Glen are glad to have these three furry friends around.


Note:  Like cats?...good reads by Gladys Taber, Amber, A Very Personal Cat (1970) and Conversations With Amber (1978).

No comments:

Post a Comment