summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, April 1, 2012

An Abundance

Happy April Fool’s Day!  No, I did not fool anyone nor did anyone fool me - thank goodness.  I do not take ‘tomfoolery’ very well….but, I did see my first trillium of the season in the woods today - no kidding!




Today was a perfect day to mow the lawn again - second time for the season.  Since I now have a lawn mower with a grass catcher, I do not have to mow every four days to keep the grass, which at times looks like hay, from piling up on the lawn. But, I do have to empty the catchers frequently.  I have a lot of lawn.



Unfortunately, those grass catchers are huge and heavy when filled.  I work up quite a set of catcher-emptying muscles by the end of the year; but, for now, my arms are an achin’!





I put those grass clippings to use - recycle, reuse…today, some clippings went into the chicken pen - the chickens like to scratch around in the loose grass; some clippings went to Ember, Little Red and the three bull calves - what a gift - imagine eating bite-sized pieces of grass, no grazing action required; and some clippings went to mulch around some shrubs.  All in all, a kind of sharing the wealth!


















The bull calves really enjoyed themselves, digging in, as they had clippings all over their noses. 



I think I can clean off my nose...


I just bet the next time I roll past the barn paddock with the lawn mower that I will be greeted with many anxious faces.  After all, a handout of freshly mowed grass is easier and faster to consume than having to work for each mouthful.  

Hmmm…there just might be a life lesson here!

No comments:

Post a Comment