summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, July 16, 2012

Stargazer Season

The Stargazer lilies are in bloom.




Initially, there is one amazing blossom; then, a dozen; then, one hundred.  And, to think, my clump started from one bulb with no special care or treatment bestowed over the years; now, that is a perfect perennial.



I was first introduced to this special flower only a few years back while I was attending the local Rockbridge Regional Fair.  I had never seen this flower blooming in the gardens I was accustomed to visiting.  And, there it was…stems sitting in a glass of water among the other entries for the Flower Show.  I did not even get the full scent, but the bloom won me over.  I thought this flower must be difficult to grow; nonetheless, I had to have one in my garden.  So, so unlike me, I bought a bulb; a great investment to my garden.




The blossoms, pure white and cotton candy pink, are huge, majestic, and fully take control of my senses.




These flowers are so gratifying to behold; whether it be a glance or a downright stare.  But, the fragrance!  Oh, these blooms are unadulterated bliss with every little sniff.



I can be standing fifteen feet or more from this magnificent planting when I begin to smell the sweet perfume drifting out from the blossoms, drawing me nearer; making me take another step closer.   One, single bloom sitting in a vase on the kitchen table totally overpowers the room with sweetness.



In the garden, I make specific trips just to pass near the Stargazers.  I make a special point to call Glenn over for a minute to share in my delight.  He is not impressed.  Oh well…I tried.



These flowers do not last long enough for my pleasure, so I make sure I enjoy their bloom time to the fullest.  One year is a long time to wait for the next glorious blossoming.




So, for now, I make several treks to the Stargazers throughout the day and I am giddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment