summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Late Winter Snow




The snow has arrived.  And, just as it stopped falling, it began to melt.  I am guessing the 12+ inches that piled up will not last long.


 
















 
 
I did enjoy watching the birds all day hang out in the branches of the  silver maple tree growing just beyond the living room window.  They were also near the feeder, which still contained food, but for hours they seemed content to just take up residence on a branch and chill.



 
 




Earlier in the morning, the feeder was surrounded with red-winged blackbirds.  Now, that was as sight as I do not recall this species visiting any time prior.  As I tried to sneak out onto the deck to take a photo, they all fled in flight, leaving the feeder availble to the waiting chickadees, cardinals and a sapsucker or two.  Blue Jays and mourning doves joined the group and all seemed to get along even when those red-wings returned.


 

 
Suddenly, I realized I still had my plastic snowflake decorations hanging from each window.  I put these decorations out with the Christmas paraphernalia in December, but these gems continue to grace my living room, dining room and kitchen windows usually through the end of February when the threat of additional snowstorms regularly ceases. 


 

These plastic snowflakes were one of my Mother’s traditional holiday decorations.  My earliest recollection of them is from home movies; my Mother had hung these snowflakes from the ceiling of the basement for a family gathering.  I do not recall if I was even born yet, which makes these plastic relics nearing 60 years old.  Most still have their original hanging thread which is a very thin wire coated with a thin, green cloth. 


 

One of the best things about these snowflakes, even though they are plastic, is that they catch the sunlight and create rainbows.  A few days back as I was reading a book, I  enjoyed a full rainbow revealed across the page - each rainbow color (red,orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) distinct.  A smile was revealed across my face.

 

However, today Glenn gave an unassuming warning to pack those snowflakes away.  He did not want to pronounce that he would like more snow.  Glenn is ready for spring!

 

So, once again, I say goodbye to a family treasure as I carefully wrap each snowflake between tissue paper before boxing them up.

 

And, before long, I will be enjoying them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment