summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, November 8, 2014

One Day Too Late


We had our first killing freeze last night. I was not paying much attention to the weather forecast.

 

I did not bring in any of my potted plants. And, this morning, I was greeted with a few very sad-looking plants.  Some of my potted plants, though, endured the cold quite nicely. Hardier, I guess.

 

My angel wing begonia was the most distressed.  This plant’s foliage was sparse most of the summer and was just beginning to flourish this fall.  That is, until, last night.  I was one day too late. 

 

The normally large, upright and stiff leaves had been transformed to limp and droopy mush.  The once firm stems are now soft and bending over.

 




I brought the failing plant inside into the living room, placed it in the sunny window, and hope that it will, at the very least, sprout new leaves.  It will have five months indoors to recover.

 

If the begonia does not survive,  I do have a few rooted cuttings, from this very plant, sitting in water-filled jars on my kitchen counter.  They are small, but alive.

 

Next year, I will be more vigilant knowing that the begonia needs to take inside shelter earlier than most of my other potted plants.

 

But, for now, it looks like I will be retrieving some potting soil, some pots and my rooted cuttings. 

 

No time like the present to get a healthy start for next season with this begonia.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment