summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, December 1, 2013

JAKE - More Than Just A Farm Dog


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jake, loyal farm dog and loyal companion extraordinaire, has died.  I miss him dearly.

 

I thought I could write this blog without tears…I cannot!

 

Jake entered our lives, almost 15 years ago, as a bouncing and very excited fluffy puppy.  Becky wanted a dog and we agreed to let her have a short-haired female.  Jake was neither short-haired nor was he female. But, his disposition made up for these shortcomings.

 

For the first years of his life, Jake grew under the guidance of our black lab mix, Pepper.  Pepper was a wanderer and Jake, the obedient pupil, followed.  After Pepper died, Jake matured into a loving, loyal stay-at-home dog.  He followed us everywhere.  He never wandered.  He had the best personality.  We all loved Jake.

 

Jake was the only dog on the farm for a few years.  He and the three cats became great friends.  Jake would share his food with the cats.  Jake would share his bed with the cats.  Jake would groom the cats.  But, there was something missing in Jake’s life.  He needed canine company.  So, we eventually added a border collie to our farm.  Jake was happier.  Jake was now the teacher.  Buddy the pupil. 

 

The kids moved off the farm for various reasons.  The two dogs became my responsibly, and quickly my bosom buddies.  All was well, even on those days that I forgot to feed them.  They never complained.

 

Then, Jake began to age.  Buddy became his caretaker, watching to make sure he returned from their daily constitutionals. Buddy would sit and watch the woods waiting for Jake.  Eventually, Jake would emerge and Buddy could move on with his activities.  Jake returned the favor by searching the sky for birds for Buddy to chase.  Jake would announce the birds with a solid bark. This is something he did only during this last year.  Every day, the energetic step of Jake’s became less lively.  When I walked faster than Jake, I was sad.  I knew Jake was on the downhill. Unknown to me, Jake remained ‘top dog’ though, which I discovered after he died.

 

Jake would never miss our frequent walks, no matter how far behind us he would follow and no matter how slow.  I called his pace ‘Jake speed’.  I, too, frequently walk at ‘Jake speed’ these days.

 

The morning of the day Jake went down, I watched Jake and Buddy playing in the barn lot from an upstairs window - a happy moment to witness.  Soon, Jake was down, never to gain his footing again.  Becky came over and sat with Jake all day, hours in the cold air sitting on the cold ground, comforting him as he began to die.   As evening approached, the temperatures dropped even more, so Glenn and Becky moved Jake into the store room next to the main door of the house.  Buddy kept vigil and the cats curled in Jake’s furry tummy as was their routine.  Jake, with very sad eyes, just lay motionless.

 

Jake slipped away during the second night.

 

 I cried every time I thought about Jake. Buddy was uneasy eating alone.  The cats continued to look for Jake and their favorite napping spot.  Buddy began to chase the cats.  The cats began to hiss at Buddy.  There was no ‘top dog’ to keep everyone in his/her place.  The harmony was gone. 

 

Buddy is still very lost.  Buddy misses Jake.  The cats continue to look for Jake in all his favorite places.  The cats miss Jake.  And, I still cry when I think of my totally faithful companion.  I miss Jake.  Glenn misses Jake. Becky misses Jake.

 

Jake was a GREAT dog. 

 

Jake will always be missed.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment