summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, February 14, 2014

Another Baby?


Becky decided she needed a farm dog of her very own.  Having recently lost Jake, and Buddy becoming more my dog than hers, she took the next step and bought herself an Australian Shepherd puppy.

 

This puppy lived about a two hour drive from our home.  So, of course, we would stop for lunch prior to pick-up so that we would not need to make a meal break with a brand new puppy in tow.

 




We decided on a local, in vicinity of the puppy’s home, café named Buffalo and More.  The establishment was small and cozy, but the food was big on flavor. The menu was extensive and used buffalo meat in almost every item…hot dogs, burgers, chili, tacos, stew and more.  Initially, I ordered a bowl of buffalo chili which was a bit too spicy for my sensitive palette.  From the first spoonful, I could tell the chili was delicious, but the burn began to settle in immediately. I decided to reorder a much milder buffalo pot roast - yummy!  Becky got her usual, or just a bit unusual, buffalo burger and sweet potato fries.  We had plenty of food to overfill our stomachs (no dessert, again - that homemade blackberry cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream was tempting) and to take some home.  The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating.  If we are ever in Riner, Virginia again, we will be sure to revisit Buffalo and More for another satisfying buffalo entre.  Did I mention that the buffalo is locally raised, too?

 

Back to puppy pick-up…

Puppy taking his last look of his birth place.
Puppy looking at me and wondering...'Who are you?'
 
 


Only minutes from the café, we were at the home of the puppy people.  After a few words of encouragement between the owner and Becky, I sat back in the vehicle, placed a cardboard box on my lap and was ready to receive the cute ball of fluff.  The first part of the drive back was quite curvy.  Since I am prone to motion sickness, my stomach was feeling a bit queasy.  Then, puppy threw up…in the box thank goodness, but in the box on my lap nonetheless.  The odor did not help my condition.  As soon as Becky could find a place to pull over, she did and quickly cleaned out the box and off we went. 

 

About 1 ½ hours later, Becky stopped to let the puppy out.  A squat, a tinkle (by the puppy) and we were off again. 

 



Soon, we arrived at the puppy’s temporary home, Mountain Glen Farm, and he met his new dog friend, Buddy.  Buddy was a bit standoffish, but a gentleman - no nipping or barking. 
 

 

The past week has proved challenging.  The puppy, officially named Samuel/Sam/Sammy, has had the run of MY house - ugh!  He abandons his toys wherever, chews on the carpet fringe, and leaves small surprises from time to time - double ugh!!

 

Sammy is cute, I know the situation is temporary, and I do miss him when he accompanies Becky on her chores. 

 

What more can I say?

 

So, here’s Sammy…our (really Becky's) newest cutie!
 


 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment