summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, December 28, 2015

Winter Tree

The sun is finally shining.  After days, probably weeks, of overcast and raining days, the house is bright once again.
 
Yet, there is a positive side to all this gloom and grey. The good thing about the darkness, especially during the Christmas holiday, was that I was able to enjoy the lights on my Christmas trees throughout the entire day rather than only at night.
 
Yes, you read that right…trees. My main tree is the traditional, cut down your own, fresh white pine.  My second tree is a new white and glittery artificial tree. 
 
crystal snowflake with drop heart
gift from a dear friend
angel blowing horn accented with
gold highlights
In previous years, after I decided that I needed a smaller tree to showcase my sparkling clear glass/spun glass/crystal ornaments, I use to go and find a small dried tree branch outside and spray paint it white.  That version was not very glitzy nor very stable.  One of my favorite ornaments, a biplane representing Glenn having a pilot’s license, flew off the tree and made quite a crash landing on the hardwood floor below. The plane shattered and was immediately destined for the trash as any type of fix was impossible.  That was about the same year Glenn let his license lapse... was that accidental crash a sign?

Last year, after Christmas, I purchased a small white plastic tree, adorned with lights and glitter, at half price. Reduced prices are my favorite kind of prices. The boxed tree went into storage.  I had no idea whether the lights worked or not.  This year, I pulled the two top sections (just the right height) of that tree out the box and assembled it on top of my Grandmother’s old treadle sewing machine which dwells in the corner of our dining room.  The initial intent was to set it up on my Grandmother’s old round oak table which resides in the living room.  I decided that two trees in one room was unnecessary duplication, and I wanted each tree to shine on its own. Therefore, the recently relocated sewing machine was the perfect size and in the perfect spot for my new holiday tree.
 
I temporarily moved a watercolor picture off the wall and hung an antique mirror in its place. The tree is positioned right in front of the mirror which greatly intensifies all that sparkle.
 
The white of the tree, the glitter that coats the twig-like branches, the glow of the LED lights and the glass and crystal ornaments all make for amazing energy.   It brightens my every moment when I walk by it. 
 
Now, just after Christmas, I realize I have an additional benefit. This tree can remain up long past the Christmas holiday.  It will not dry out, it will not lose its needles and it will seamlessly blend into the winter season.
 
When our weather eventually turns cold (it has been very mild) and maybe even snowy, this tree will not cause a chill, but it will be a beacon in my home… warming my spirit and my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment