summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

What Is The Probability?




 Today I had a fabulous day at the pond.  I saw three, yes three, Green Herons.  Previously, I thought I was privileged when I had seen one or two together.  But, three!  I could hardly contain my excitement. 



Look at that beautiful color...I still do not see the green, though





So, I was a bit preoccupied on my return walk back to the house.  I usually keep a roving eye looking for my next great experience.  Today, my mind wandered but my eyes steadied on the ground where I was walking. The grass in my path is over a foot tall and I try to keep a constant eye so that I do not trip on a vine or wiry stem.  I do that quite often and end up with a wrenched body for the pleasure – ugh!



Suddenly, a mere foot, I repeat…foot as in twelve inches, in front of my toe tips, a skunk wandered out from the taller 24” grass pasture into my path.  YIKES!  I think we scared each other.

Bad tail day?




I hate skunks.  Actually, I hate the rank odor which seems to linger around for days.  The smell makes me sick and I get a headache.  Within a second, I made a 180 and moved away from the imminent danger as quickly as possible.  When I felt I was out of spraying range, I turned.  Both dogs had been behind me.  Now, Buddy was still at my side, but Snowball had to investigate this creature nose to nose.  The skunk’s tail rose rapidly and I saw Snowball tumble to the ground and try to rub the offensive spray off.  The smell drifted swiftly to my downwind location.



I continued to yell to Snowball to come to me, but like usual, he does not listen to a word I say. He continued to follow the skunk as the skunk slowly moved away.  I really do not know how many times Snowball got sprayed, but it was more than one time. Sadly, the odor did not deter Snowball one bit.



Finally, when I saw that the skunk was a decent distance away from me, I quickly proceeded to leave the noxious area. 



I have never, never, had this close an encounter with a skunk in all my life.  EVER!!!!  What is the probability of this occurrence happening?  Hopefully, only once in MY lifetime.  But, I know I will be apprehensive from here on out when I take my walks. 



I gave Glenn a call, mid-incident, and told him my predicament.  He replied with, “Well, that is to be expected in the country.”  REALLY.  I do not think so.  I could see I was getting no sympathy from him.



Snowball will smell like skunk for weeks.  At least, we will be able to tell where he is hiding out.



Those three herons were wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment