summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, August 23, 2013

Gigantic Greens


I did not have high hopes for this growing season.

 

Too much rain early and throughout the summer months took a toll on many of my vegetable in the  garden.

 

I gave up on the herbs early since they had been quickly canopied by the ruthless weeds.

 

The peppers and tomatoes did not get any of my attention.  These veggies like it on the hot side, and hot is not how I would describe this summer.

 

Again…I was wrong.

 

I went out to cut off the few green peppers that I had noticed hanging from the plants. 

 

Boy, was I surprised.  Those green peppers, often hidden by their own leaves, were huge.

 


I cut the biggest peppers off the plants and let the smaller ones remain for further growth.

 

I cleaned, diced and froze enough packets of green peppers to get us through another year.

 

The freezer now has some of the 2013 crop of sweet corn, green peppers, raisins, raspberries, and pole beans.  And, I think there will still be more to harvest before we are finished for the season.

 

Now, the tomatoes are as expected - small and not worth the effort of canning.  I am just glad we have enough canned tomatoes remaining from our 2012 season to use and enjoy until next summer.

PATHETIC...please return to the green pepper photo!


But next year, the tomatoes have to produce.  We use lots of canned tomatoes in our cooking.

 

Tomorrow I am going to try a new recipe…canned, pickled sweet banana pepper and cucumber relish - a change on the pickled sweet banana pepper slices that I canned last week.  I have to use the surplus cucumbers anywhere I can.  Glenn eats them fresh.  I do not - too much burping.

 

Glenn already gave away bushels and they keep on producing.  And, producing!

 

So, I declare 2013 the Year of the Cucumber!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment