summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, June 16, 2014

Here and Gone


This morning’s walk started out with a bit of a stir.  Near the house, lying at the side of the farm road, almost into the woods was a dead opossum.   Or, was it dead?

 



The dogs advanced on the lifeless body with both caution and aggression.  The totally still body did not move, did not flinch even with the circling and barking from both Buddy and Sammy.  I hesitated from advancing too close.  My immediate concern was that this opossum would jump up and bite me.  I remained much further away than the dogs.  I was not taking any chances.

 

I managed to divert both dogs’ attention into following me.  So, we proceeded on our early morning walk through the cool and shaded woods.  Peace surrounded us.

 

Yet, as we walked, I thought to myself, “Maybe this critter was just playing ‘dead’.  After all, we are talking opossum here.  Well, we would know on our return.

 

Sure enough... this was a definite case of ‘playing dead’.  The supposedly lifeless body of the opossum was gone.  Both dogs sniffed the now deserted site.  I bet they were wondering about the whereabouts of what they were considering a breakfast treat.

 

I was just glad that the opossum was gone and would not require a more formal disposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment