summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Personal Achievement


I was fully enjoying my favorite month, the month of October, when suddenly November arrived.

This morning when  I wandered into the kitchen I noticed the two clocks displaying different times.  I rushed to the computer to verify.  Sure enough...the time had changed, falling back one hour. Now, my days will seem even shorter than they already do - pooh!
 

The temperatures have significantly cooled from the warm 60’s and 70’s of October to as low as 30 degrees at night. Potted plants had to be carted indoors. The last of the garden harvest gathered.

 

Also, Glenn finally started the furnace for the season, never before November 1, and now we have heat in the house - hurray!    I do not like to be cold.

 

Yesterday, I treated myself to a beginner painting class.

 

 I was going to spend the entire day with my friend Ann, first taking the class together and then having dinner out. But, she had to cancel.  The night before, Ann ate a food she was either allergic to or poisoned by and the typical consequences resulted.  I will not go into detail, but she was very sick.  I was so disappointed since I had waited all summer to spend this day with her. 

 

Fortunately, for me, the painting class did not disappoint. 

 

Each class attendee painted the same picture, Chickadee on Snow-covered Branch.  The subject was so appropriate and timely.   To be able to paint a bird commonly found at my bird feeder and, the way the weather was forecasted, we were expecting our first snow. The only snow to arrive, though, is what I painted into my picture.  

 
my work station - first step - criss cross brush strokes of sap green

The instructor provided all the materials as well as her expertise and love of painting.  I just had to listen and paint and enjoy...which I did willingly. This was my first ever attempt at oil painting and I love it!


 

At the end, each novice artist went home with an amazing oil painting. I was so surprised with my resulting canvass.

 

I am already looking forward to continuing with this, new to me, hobby.

 

Glenn is already making sounds about me adding one more ‘fun’ thing to my full schedule.  Hey…life is too short to stop expanding one’s interests. 

 

Next???  Come back and see what I have planned for early December.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You did a great job! Beautiful! Glad you enjoyed it. Looks like a great class to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hydrangeas in April 2015...maybe I will see you there!

    ReplyDelete