summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Nature's Secrets


I had withdrawn to the comfort of the house for several days because it was SO COLD, but I was anxious to get outside again. The air temperatures warmed a bit today, so I took the opportunity to take a quick walk down to the pond.

 


The pond displayed a bit of ice around its edges.  The cold temperatures, teens and twenties, of the past few days had been enough to begin this transformation from liquid water to its solid form.



 

The puppies licked where they normally lap.  Sammy and Snowball were curious.  They edged further out onto the thin ice.  I could hear the cracking.  Suddenly, Snowball fell, head first, through the somewhat solid layer into the water below.  He quickly retreated to firm ground with concern.  ‘What just happened to me?’ was evident in his facial expression. 

SPLASH!!!
 

I just had to chuckle. 

 

Unbeknownst to me, our resident heron was hiding in the brown cattail thicket during our pond visit. He eventually gave up his hiding and flew grandly up into the air and away from our direction.

 

I wondered what made that heron remain at the pond so long today, especially since we were present, when in the past he always flew away upon our immediate arrival.

 

Hmmm…I must have had that same quizzical look upon my face that Snowball had revealed earlier.

 

Nature keeps us all guessing which, in turn, keeps life very fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment