summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Becky's Puppies




Recently, I mentioned that Becky is caretaker of seven puppies orphaned by the passing of our Great Pyrenees guard dog, Avalanche, just two days after giving birth.



Those puppies are healthy and growing thanks to Becky’s patience and attention.



Unfortunately, one female pup was being physically irritated as the other puppies used her to satisfy their nursing instincts. 




Becky and I tried to create a protective armor out of an old sock…actually a sock that I was wearing at the time.  My offering was not much of a sacrifice, though, since the sock was ready for the rag bag.



The ‘fix’ lasted exactly 15 seconds…so much for our bright idea.





 
 
 
 
 
Our second option was to move that little female into her own box - a kind of solitary confinement, but one for her benefit.  She did not mind.  And, within a week, her soreness healed and she rejoined her brothers and sister. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Then, Becky asked me to do the feeding one afternoon.  Becky was going to be out-of-town and would not be able to do the mid-day feeding.  Reluctantly, I agreed.
 
Since I had never fed the puppies before, Becky left me detailed directions, pre-mixed formula, washed bottles and nipples and, of course, seven hungry puppies.
 
I gathered all the necessary paraphernalia and headed for the puppy tub.  One puppy was outside the tub while the others were cozy and cuddled under the heat lamp.  All were sleeping.  I did not want to wake them, but one must have heard my arrival and sounded the alarm for the others to wake and be squeaky. Seven little puppies can be quite loud and vocal especially when their tummies are empty.  I filled the small bottles, placed a puppy on my lap and offered the nipple. Once that puppy had downed two bottles, I again filled the bottles and grabbed puppy number 2.  I made a mental note of each puppy that I had fed so that I would not feed one puppy twice and completely overlook another hungry puppy. 
 
I managed to get all seven fed with a bit of formula pooling over the prep area where my pouring was on the messy side, on my pants (no poop or pee, though) and all over the puppies' faces. 
 
Fortunately, all seven pups got fed and all seven survived until Becky returned.
 
I sure am glad that I am not the one feeding these puppies multiple times per day over several weeks.  Not only is that task time-consuming, but the formula is very expensive. 
 
These puppies are going to be very highly-invested mutts.
 
When do these little critters start feeding themselves? 
 
Soon, I hope! Then,...
 
Puppy anyone?
 
 
 
Note:  The puppies have grown and have moved out of their cardboard box and into a large rubber tub that is normally used as a sheep water tank.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment