summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, March 30, 2015

Hip, Hip, Heron


After two days of below freezing temperatures, I was happy to see a bit of warm-up.  After all…it is spring.

Look at this…doesn’t that fence look pretty - newly stained.  I did not do it, but I am sure glad this project has been started again.

 
 
 
I began work on this task a few years ago.  I still have my black-stained work clothes waiting for my return.  Last year, I had good intentions of trying to finish another section of the fence. But, I just could not muster up enough incentive to return to this task.  Now, we have a helper who has begun to tackle the job I left behind. And, I am so grateful. 


Quite frankly, I would rather be doing other things…like walking with the dogs and be on watch for the return of my heron. 

 
Today was that day - hip, hip, hooray!

 





As I neared the pond, I kept a watchful eye, like I always do, on and around the pond. Then, all of a sudden, the heron gracefully rose from the dried cattail clump and flew low above the water across the length of the pond to the dam.  There he landed and watched me.  And, he watched the dogs.



 

I was thrilled to have him back and overjoyed to watch the heron’s measured flight.  I slowly proceeded closer.  As I crossed that invisible line of safety between the heron and myself, the heron took flight in my direction and continued on past on out of site.  No matter, as I know I will see the heron frequently throughout the spring, summer and fall.
 

 























My attention was now drawn to a pair of Canada geese who remained floating on the pond. 

Last week, I watched these two lay flat, as if hiding, on top of the water.  They looked like they were dead.  I had never witnessed this action before even though Glenn informed me that it is characteristic of their survival tools.

 
The dogs ran around to the far edge of the pond to where the geese peacefully glided causing them to take a short flight to the middle of the pond, to a more safe location.  Their honking was loud and obnoxious. They, in very direct terms, let us all know that they do not like being chased.
 
 
 

Glenn is not a fan of geese as they are really messy birds. Personally, I enjoy watching them along with the many other pond happenings.

 

Are little goslings in our future?  I would expect so if these two stay around any longer.

 

And, if Glenn has any say, these geese will soon be looking for more friendly environs in which to hatch their family.

No comments:

Post a Comment