summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Dust Devil


Yesterday, I spent a good portion of the day gardening.  Basically, I was weeding and cleaning up the beds. This task is never-ending, but I have to admit that I have never been so close as having most of the beds clean and pretty at one time as they are right now.  I enjoy wandering around the yard and enjoying the tidiness - no abundance of flowers yet, but I still enjoy what I can anticipate to come…lush perennials, colorful and fragrant blooms, juicy fruit, green grass…peace.


The day was warm, calm and gorgeous.  The outdoors seized my body and mind.  Indoor chores would have to wait for another day.  This day was about spending all my time outside.


I was sitting straightening and resetting bricks that lined a particular garden path.  I was getting a bit heated and thought about taking off my sweatshirt, but decided to leave it on.  Why?  I had no idea.


Within 10 minutes of making that decision, I was smack dab in the middle of a dust devil.  I did not see it coming, but I sure felt the dust and dirt and leaves pelt my face and body.  My hair twisted into knots.  I did not have time to jump up and run, so I quickly pulled my hood over my head and tucked my face into my chest.  I still felt the strong wind and flying debris, but now, at least my eyes and face were protected. The wind was so strong that both my sweatshirt and cotton turtleneck started to lift toward my neck.  Now, my body was exposed to the bombardment.


When the whirling wind stopped, I looked up and watched the dust devil move away across the yard, then out of sight.

 
I felt and I was totally windblown and completely dusty, my mouth gritty - yuck!

 
I have seen and enjoyed watching dust devils many times before, but I had never actually been enclosed inside one. 

 
What an experience! 
 
One I have no desire to repeat.

 

 

 

Note:  For those who are unfamiliar with dust devils…they are like small tornadoes that seem to appear from nowhere and disappear just as mysteriously.  You can see the whirling winds because of the dirt and dust that rises and travels within the funnel. They are not as powerful or as dangerous as a tornado.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment