summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Melodious Meadowlarks


For the past several weeks, I have been constantly serenaded on my walks by the magnificent and numerous Eastern Meadowlarks. As I head away from the house and downhill into the pasture, the meadowlarks’ songs become more distinct.


I consider these brightly yellow-colored birds to be a bit elusive...as least to sight.

As I walk, I can hear the meadowlarks all around me.  But, seeing them is quite a different story. They definitely keep a wide safe zone. Even though, these birds are a brilliant yellow and fairly good-sized, the long distance makes identification difficult.  And, most of their time is spent rambling on the ground frequently under cover of grass.  This is an additional disadvantage to me, not the birds.





I stop and listen and can pinpoint their location, but visuals are iffy.
 


Yesterday, I considered my meadowlark experience to be about 5 out of a possible 10.  I could easily hear the meadowlarks, but I could only see them afar. Having three dogs run ahead of me does not help in the birdwatching department either.

 

That was until I made my return trip back home. Partially hidden behind a board fence, I was able to view a few meadowlarks at a much closer distance than my norm.  At one point, I watched four meadowlarks flying together overhead.  As I stopped and became motionless, so did the dogs.  The meadowlarks moved even closer to me.

 

Even though I mostly see meadowlark silhouettes lurking about the pasture, yesterday I was lucky enough to observe a solitary meadowlark singing from atop a nearby fencepost and also one just above me in a tree branch - my closest encounters yet.

 

My 5 rating turned into an amazing 10. 

 

All I needed was a bit of patience and some quiet dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment