summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, October 5, 2015

The Sun Returns


Today, finally, it was sunny.  It had been raining and heavily overcast for over the past 2 ½ weeks. 

 
 
Buddy laying on his back and sunning his belly in full nap mode
 
 


Buddy took advantage of the sun during his nap.

 

I was pretty near out of socks...can you tell?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I took advantage of the sun to hang the laundry out.

 

Everything and everybody just seemed to enjoy the coming out…of the sun.

 

I decided I had to get back to my routine of taking a daily walk.  The rainy days prevented such an adventure, but so did my recent run-in with Snowball.

 

My foot is still a little swollen.  My foot is still a little bit black and blue. And, my foot still hurts a little bit, BUT I had to get out and absorb the rays and get more active than just hobbling from room to room inside the house.  I planned to walk slowly, take an abbreviated outing, and just be super careful.

 

I gathered my camera, my bamboo walking stick and phone.   As I stepped outside, Buddy saw me and knew exactly what was happening.  He immediately perked up and became ecstatic. Even though Buddy wanders at will, he still enjoys our walks.

 
two, very happy dogs
We met up with Snowball at the gate and the three of us ventured forth. 

 

Snowball made me a bit anxious when he decided to walk next to me as if our legs were connected.  Occasionally, he would vacate his post when Buddy swiftly took off running.  I did not mind them running at full speed away from me, but when they turned and came back at full speed toward me…well, I was worried.  My eyes were fixed on Snowball.  If I saw him coming, I could divert his path away from any collision with my body.  I do not need another incident to occur between me and him especially while I am still healing from our previous accidental encounter.

 

I watched Snowball as if I was the ‘proverbial’ hawk.

 

I walked further than I had initially planned and, by the time I arrived home, my ankle/foot was telling me I just about over did my first excursion.  And, I still had Butternut Bisque (Susan Branch’s fabulous recipe) to make.  I had a few squash left from my 2014 growing season.  I sent Glenn out to dig a few potatoes and when he came back, he reported that I had 33 butternut squash (the 2015 season) out in the garden.  The bisque recipe uses two large squash.

 

I am sure glad we like Butternut Bisque.  Paired with my homemade buttered potato rolls…yummy!

 

Autumn definitely provides numerous kinds of joy - color, food, activity, smells…go out and realize your favorite joy of the season.  You will be glad you did.
 
I was...I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment