summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Time to Breathe, Time to Seed, Time to Harvest


Spring days are so full of chores and activities that I barely have time to breathe.  But, they are also so pretty and so fragrant that I do consciously breathe for the sweet aroma alone. 



A few days ago, after my walk and my routine chores, I went out to get a few seeds in the ground.  The forecast was calling for several days of rain and I wanted my seeds to benefit.  I planted beets, lettuce, sunflowers, marigolds and transplanted an ailing blueberry bush to a different, perhaps more desirable, location…only time will tell.  Glenn planted three rows of potatoes. 



This is only a start, late one at that.  More veggie seeds need to get in the ground soon.



As I was walking about my gardens, I noticed that the chamomile was in bloom.  With rain on the horizon, I opted to pick the blossoms.  This is only the first harvest of several to come during the growing season.



I had no intention of picking chamomile this year.  It is a tedious task.  Becky said she wanted the chamomile.  My reply was to go for it, but I would not be doing the picking.  I knew Becky was busy and the only way to save the first harvest was for me to pick it – ugh!



after picking, the chamomile blossoms are air dried
The upside, while I was sitting on my overturned bucket plucking one flower at a time, was being serenaded by either a mockingbird or a brown thrasher.  Both reside in my garden, both sing beautifully and both have quite a repertoire of tunes.  I did not get up to investigate as to the rightful owner of the melodies, but my task was a bit more pleasant to complete.
Time ti



The rain arrived and contributed more moisture for all the green growing things on the farm – SUPER!






bird sighting of the day, rare to boot...male Baltimore Oriole - just gorgeous!


on

No comments:

Post a Comment