summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Christmas Tree...check!


This morning, Glenn and I went to get our Christmas tree.

 

Over the years, we have patronized several of the local Christmas tree growers in our area.  This year we revisited Francisco Farms.  Glenn drove the back roads making a short trip a little longer.  I enjoyed watching the rural country side.  Unfortunately, I also noticed many  pastures abused by overgrazing and many old barns deteriorating with age which made me sad; but, one old greyed barn with a hand-laid stone foundation, sitting at the edge of a dirt road, sporting a wreath of greens and red bow was a joy.  I smiled.
 

 
When you no longer have young children...

When we arrived at the farm, we were the lone customers.  December 15th is not exactly a timely date in which to buy a tree, but it is pretty common in my family;  going back to my childhood when my birthday (12-14) was celebrated before Christmas decorations ever came out.

 
Nature's ornaments?  Bagworms...not my tree of choice!
 
 
Here  it is ...not too full, just tall enough!
 
 
back and forth, back and forth....

timberrrrrr

The weather was pleasant and enjoyable; none of the freezing temperatures, blowing wind and snow of seasons past to squelch our adventure.  Glenn grabbed a saw and off we walked onto the hillside of a plantation of white pine trees.  The trees were gorgeous; full and perfectly formed; not the kind of tree I was looking to cut.  I wanted a tree that was sparse; it had to have air space to actually hang ornaments from and between the branches.  We found one; open branches and a perfect height and width for the small area designated in our living room.  Glenn had that specimen sawn down in less than 60 seconds; then, back down the hill, tree dragging along the dry earth and hoisted into the back of the pick-up (no tie downs necessary), pay the twenty bucks (I will not pay more) and return home along different county roads.
 

 

At home, the tree was placed on the back deck, in a bucket of water until tomorrow…when the fun begins!

waiting patiently in a bucket of water..I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will still be able to have this beauty decorated by Christmas 
 

Note:   Growing perfect Christmas takes a lot of work; I know, but I still prefer the less-than-perfect tree.   Back in my college days, I had the opportunity (or should I say unfortunate task) to spend one day trimming white pines in our Forestry Club’s Christmas Tree Plantation.  I was a senior; club President; and evidently, it was my turn.  I went into the chore with zeal; I wanted the experience of trimming Christmas trees.  Well, about 30 minutes into the job, I had all the experience I needed or ever wanted - slicing off and shaping pine branches at an angle with a machete in 90°+ sunny, hot and humid air; walking from tree to tree  through 24” tall grass infested with chiggers (my body was covered with large, itchy bites for weeks - I looked like I had a skin disease so I wore long pants and long sleeves to cover up; and yes, it was still muggy and in the high 90’s); and profusely sweating with no relief (no one carried water bottles in those days)…I had had enough!  Twenty bucks…probably worth $100, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment