summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Jake's Ivy?


December 1st - how has the year passed so quickly?
 
 
The weather has been so mild and continues to be; so, I am taking advantage of the warm and comfortable days to get back in the garden to weed and clean-up before winter weather arrives.

 

I started to trim up the ivy patch in front of the house.  This ivy grows like the proverbial weed and I cut it back several times during the growing season.  I competed a major trimming in late August and thought I was set until next year…wrong, the ivy kept growing, kept covering my walkway.

 

Recently, Jake retuned to an old habit of sleeping in the ivy bed.  Soon, Buddy joined him; though reluctantly because Buddy knows that trampling the ivy is a definite no-no. But, our dear Jake is getting old and stiff.  I relented, and I allowed him to take his naps on my ivy. And, doing so results in dog-sized indentations in the foliage; eventually causing the foliage to die back.  Not a pretty sight, but Jake deserves a bit of comfort that the ivy vines provide.

 

Jake perked up when I began the trimming.  He gave me a look of disgust, ‘Getting rid of my comfy, cozy couch?’ 


And, what are you doing with my ivy???
 
I assured him that I left enough ivy for him; I did not even get close to his favorite spots. He has several.

That's more like it!
 

Jake was satisfied as he returned for another nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment