summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, December 20, 2012

In Threes



 

They say things come in threes…sometimes good, sometimes bad; I just completed the third day of bad.

 

Two days ago, while decorating the first Christmas tree we have had in years, I dropped an ornament. (I guess I was out of practice.) I had just started to hang the ornaments; as I recall, this ornament was number two to go onto a branch.  The hook did not make it securely over the thin twig of the branch and the ornament started to roll down the feathery needles of the flexible branches.  I tried to make a catch…I missed.  The ornament, a glass accordion made in Germany, hit the floor and only slightly shattered.


 

I was sad.  This ornament was homage to my grandfather who lived upstairs from my family while I was growing up.  He played the accordion.  He had an old accordion.  One day, I remember my Grandfather buying a new, pearly red accordion with white keys.  My grandfather never bought himself anything; not until that accordion.  He was proud and happy.

 

Then yesterday, I dropped a jar, I was recycling, on the kitchen floor; that jar really shattered into tiny bits on that tile floor.  I did not care about the jar, but I had just vacuumed (yes, I was cleaning) the floor.  I had to drag the vacuum out again to make sure all the tiny slivers of glass were removed.

 

Today, while rummaging for a bowl on a shelf above my head, my small Texasware spatter confetti bowl fell onto the counter, then bounced to the floor and broke into three pieces.  DARN FLOOR!  That bowl was a fairly recent purchase, but it had become one of my favorites because of its color (you know how I like color) and it’s  size; perfect for mixing small amounts or for collecting my few daily eggs.  I will miss that bowl.

 

So, I am now surfing the web for replacements for the accordion ornament (tag reads:  Home For The Holidays on one side and Handcrafted by Glass Artisans in Germany on the other - this ornament is not old; I think I got in 1994) and my orange Texasware bowl (3.5 “tall and 7” across the top). Not the jar...I have plenty of jars.  I have not been successful, but I will keep looking.  So, if anyone out there comes across these two items, please let me know.  I would love to add them both back into my household.


the good side...
 
 

Now, I will keep my fingers crossed….

No comments:

Post a Comment