summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Beginning Cake Decorating



 
I just cannot help myself.  I have to keep trying new things even though I have enough interests to keep me busy 24-7 for the rest of my life…no exaggeration!

 
This time it was a cake decorating class.

 
I had no real intention of learning cake decorating.  I had wanted to learn how to frost cupcakes (by the way, to date, I have never made a cupcake in my life) since watching the television program, ‘Cupcake Wars’.  And, for Christmas 2011, Becky gave me a decorating set which included 14 different decorating tips, a flower nail, a coupler for attaching the tips to the two reusable frosting bags, a cake tester, a decorating comb, a spatula, and four bottles of food coloring; but, NO instructions.  So, the set sat in a kitchen drawer.


Then, four weeks ago, I decided to check out the class schedule for Staunton Parks & Recreation in Augusta County. Even though I live in Rockbridge County, I am able to take advantage of Augusta's programs.  This recreation program is where I took a jewelry making class last summer, and you know what happened with that class... I went crazy, more like excessive, making natural gemstones necklaces.  In any case, there it was…Beginning Cake Decorating.  And, the registration deadline had passed.  It was late Friday night and I had no chance to inquire about the class at that time.  I thought about that class over the weekend; and, on Monday morning, I decided to try to get into the class.  I did.    
 
first practice plate

 
my 2nd cake decorated (Valentine's Day)
my 1st decorated cake ( Glenn's birthday)

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Four class sessions later, I am able to (not perfect, but passable for a real beginner) smoothly frost a layer cake (my frosting  would always sag down the sides of any layer cake I made previous to this class); and,  use frosting to write messages, to decorate with shell trim and basket weave, to make rosettes and roses to decorate cakes.  I think my progress is a huge accomplishment over my normal technique of flat frosting a pan cake with a butter knife (I never owned a spatula - angled or otherwise) and throwing some decorating sugar or sprinkles over the top - done!
 
 
more practice pieces


my first attempt at roses - Would you believe wildflowers?

 
I am thrilled, I had fun, and I look forward to truly decorating all my future cakes.

 
My class final - the cake is unfinished because I ran out of frosting - oops!

By the way,   I still have not made or decorated a cupcake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment