summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, February 3, 2013

No Groundhogs In Sight


When the weather outside is downright cold, I do my wildlife watching from inside the house. The location of the house is favorable to this activity as I can look out any window and enjoy a myriad of creatures most any time of day; and, the best part is that I go unnoticed.


 







This morning Glenn called me over to the front, mountain-side window to observe a  hawk perched in the nearest tree downhill from the house. WE believe this hawk to be a Red-shouldered Hawk. I see this hawk (I like to think I see this particular bird) quite often; so, I have designated this red-shouldered our resident hawk. This bird is so majestic at rest or in flight.  I am thrilled to be able to watch one on, what seems to be, a regular basis.

 

 
 
 
 
Later in the afternoon, one of our many herds of deer wandered out of the woods into the pasture just below the house.  I started counting…one, two, three, four, five; and then, I saw two more off to the side.  One of these ‘loners’ was a buck.  I could barely make out the nice rack of antlers  blending with the muted grasses of the season as the buck lowered his head to graze, but I did; not enough to count the points, but enough to know I was looking at a buck.
 




 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The buck joining the small group of does.
 
Even though it is the day after Groundhog Day, our groundhogs, and we do have quite a population, seem to be hibernating. But, that is OK, as watching the hawk and deer are so much better!

 

And, as for the remainder of winter, I do not give much credence to a groundhog’s prediction. I take the seasons as I get them, always spiced with plenty of natural beauty.

 

Each moment…magnificent!

No comments:

Post a Comment