summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, March 7, 2013

30-minute Mozzarella


 
Two days ago, I decided to make mozzarella cheese.  I had wanted to try this cheese ever since my cheese making class in late February; but, I did not have the crucial two ingredients necessary: citric acid and rennet.

 

So, I got on Ebay and ordered those two items from Three Oaks Farms in New York, as in state; and within a short two days, I received them.  Immediately, I just had to try this cheese.
 



 

I used 1 gallon of store-purchased 2% milk; and, the results were fabulous.  Next time, I would like to try whole milk to see if the flavor increases.

 

However, the results with the 2% were successful and quite tasty.  I could continue to replicate my first attempt with no changes and be completely satisfied.



 
 
just add a label and it would like store-bought
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The biggest surprise, to me, is that making this cheese is so easy.  And, I will be making mozzarella regularly.

 

Glenn and I ate the cheese sliced with and without crackers.  The taste is so good, I would have to think twice about using it in my cooking; somehow, this would seem to be a waste of good cheese.

 

I will let you know, though, that this cheese took me longer than touted 30 minutes.  Now, remember, this was my first attempt. I was going back and forth between stove and recipe often.

 

How long did it take?  Well, I hate to admit that my 30-minute mozzarella took two hours; but, two hours well spent!

 

And, I repeat, I will be making this cheese often…it is that good!


Cheese and crackers, anybody?


P.S. I think I was successful with this cheese because this cheese has to be kneaded and I am skilled in kneading due to all my bread making - not.  In reality,  I think anyone can successfully make this cheese...give it a try!


UPDATE:  I have tried this cheese a second time with 2 gallons of whole milk - again, success.  My family likes this version better than the first.  I did find that working with 2 gallons of milk was a bit more difficult than working with only one gallon.  But, you end up with the twice the amount of cheese with only one clean-up.  And, I was able to cut my overall cheese making time to 90 minutes.  I am improving!

No comments:

Post a Comment