summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Late Again...What Is It This Time?


 
Earlier this month, my friend Maryann, who lives in Illinois, sent me some tomato seeds.  She expected me germinate them, nurture them, then plant them in my garden. And, I will.

I still have time. I do, I really do!

I did not have any good soil in which to start the seeds.  Yesterday, I finally got out (you know I am a hermit) with my friend Ann. We went to lunch and a movie, and had time to make a stop for my soil.

Finally, having my soil, I was able to plant the seeds.
 
 
 






I took 12 cups from my stash of nearly a million styrofoam cups (Glenn is an iced tea addict and I am a pack rat) and recycled them into pots.  I cut the cups down, filled them with soil, planted each cup with 3 seeds, labeled each cup, covered the cups with plastic wrap to help retain the moisture and, lastly, laid a newspaper on top.  I believe most seeds germinate better in the dark.
 
 
 

Am I crazy to try to start plants from seeds so close to planting time?  No way…tomatoes like the heat and the real heat will not arrive until June. I have plenty of time to raise hearty and healthy tomato transplants.
 
What is crazy are the varieties Maryann sent my way: Beefsteak - OK, a regular variety; Purple Russian - an atypical garden variety; and lastly, Depp’s Pink Firefly.  Yep, you read that right. I repeat...Depp’s Pink Firefly.  Yes, I am talking veggies here, not insects.

What the heck is a Depp’s Pink Firefly Tomato?  I have no idea, but when they ripen you will be sure to see them.  And, I will let you know how they taste.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment