summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, April 12, 2013

Spring in Full Swing


Yesterday, when I went out for my garden walk, I noticed a big change from the day before.  Every shrub, tree, perennial had broken bud…overnight.  The entire garden had come alive!

 

And, as always, we are behind in every chore - the norm for us.

 

I still needed to trim my grapevines.  This task should have been done much earlier in the season, or even in last season.  So, that is where my day begun.  Trimming the grapevines is a tricky affair. That is one reason why I put that particular chore off, and off, and off.  Grapes are produced on the previous year’s growth.  Cut back those particular vines too much and no grapes, or a scant amount, are produced. Yet, I needed to make sure to cut back sufficiently to aid the growth of large, juicy grapes.  Now, I have to wait to see the results of my vineyard skills.

 

With rain in the forecast, Glenn and I decided we had better get the potatoes planted in the garden.  Potatoes could be planted as early as mid-March, but if you recall, we were still having snowstorms at that time this year.  Perhaps, I could blame Mother Nature for our tardiness with this undertaking. Glenn had purchased 5 pounds of seed potatoes from the local coop at least two weeks ago.  I had sliced the larger potatoes. They sat on my kitchen counter so that the cut end would harden before planting.  This usually takes one to two days. The potatoes did not get planted.  The potatoes sat on my kitchen counter for over one week.  They were starting to dry up.  They needed to be planted.  Finally, we got them into the dirt. Also, we had a five-gallon bucket full of sprouting potatoes; leftovers from last year’s harvest that we did not get to eat.  We planted those as well. Potatoes planted…check!

 
 


 
Next, we inspect the sheep and cattle.  We check on the progress of the lambing and calving constantly.  The newborn lambs are so cute.  To date, we have two sets of triplets. Sheep only have two teats, so sharing is mandatory with triplets.  The ewes and lambs were comfortably resting in the shade of a cedar grove.  Occasionally, a diminutive ‘baa’ was sounded.  The lambs’ color ranges from pure white to pure black with every kind of mottle between.  One mama ewe and her three babies were off from the rest of the flock.  Glenn decided to move the foursome back to the group.  The easiest way was for Glenn to carry the triplets and the mama ewe would follow; of course, loudly voicing her concern.  Once moved and lambs back on the ground, serenity returned. 

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The day was so pleasant and warm, the sheep and lambs so tranquil…I wanted to just lie back on the grass and spend the day relaxing with them.   Unfortunately, that would not happen today.

 















The cows were in the adjacent field with newborn calves or awaiting calves.  One cow was about to give birth as her water sac was already hanging out her back end.  Usually, the calf would arrive within the hour.  I wanted to stay and observe, but other duties called. 

a heifer calf arrived after we had left

Next...moving logging equipment from  storm clean-up in Rockbridge County to a new harvest site in Augusta County. 
 

The day flew by as chore by chore was completed.

 

The forecast was not wrong.  We received quite a rainstorm during the night.  An early morning look out the window put a smile on my face.  The sheep and lambs were scattered around the pasture, grazing contently.  All was well.

 

Now, the plants and WEEDS are really going to take off.  And, I will continue to be behind the entire growing season just trying to keep the weeds to a minimum.

 

The weeds always win.


P.S.  Today is Gladys Taber's (my favorite author) birthday - she was born 114 years ago.  Though no longer with us, her writings remain appropriate as the day she wrote them.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment