summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Timing Is Everything


I just returned from closing up the chickens for the night.

 

I’m excited.

 

The yard is at dusk…the sun had set and the crescent moon was fairly high overhead.  Darkness had not fully arrived.

 

My left peripheral vision noticed something in the sky.  I looked.

 

Flying towards me was a couple of herons.  I just adore herons.

 

Their flight was smooth, quiet, and deliberate.  Their heads high, long legs straight back - characteristic heron.  I hoped that they were a breeding couple.

 

I watched as they crossed my path and continued into the woods.  They entered the woodland below tree top level; thus, providing a gauge to their flight height above my own.

 

I could see them meander through the trees without missing a beat.  And then, they were gone.

 

Timing is everything.

 

The moment…magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment