summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sugarbridge Revisited


 
The Friends of Gladys Taber (FOGT) recently met in Pennsylvania to tour Sugarbridge.  My first FOGT Reunion was at Sugarbridge in 2004. So, this event was a kind of homecoming for me.



Gladys Taber, my favorite author, co-authored Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge (1953) with Barbara Webster.  Edward Shenton, Barbara’s husband, illustrated the book.  Shenton illustrated other notable books - The Green Hills of Africa and The Yearling to name two as well as many magazine articles and covers.

 

Stillmeadow was the Connecticut home of Taber, now in the care of her heirs, and Sugarbridge was once the home of the Shentons.  Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge is a book comprised of the correspondence between the two authors over the course of a year - sharing bits of their lives as the seasons change in their respective locations.

 

For me, to read about a home, a place, a community and then have the opportunity to actually visit the same in person is a fabulous experience.  Of course, much has changed in the 60 years since the publication of Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge; yet, I was able to imagine the magnificence of what I had read and enjoyed. The simple country life related in this book is very similar to my life on my farm today.  And, I am relieved, that the lifestyle has not been lost.

 

Also, the ability to take photos of the same scenes as portrayed in the book by Shenton’s  drawings is an added bonus,  a documentation of the evolution of the particular site.

 

Ned, son of the Shentons, was on hand to describe his life and his home back in the 50’s - a wonderful dividend - as we walked around the home and property.  Ned has written overviews, sketches, for both his parents. These two little gems are available for sale and would make a perfect addition for any Barbara Webster or Edward Shenton enthusiasts.  E-mail Ned at epalais@erols.com for purchase information. Ned Shenton was also our guest speaker.  He presented a delightful look into the life of his Mother and Sugarbridge. 

 
 

Other favorite books I recommend by Barbara Webster are The Green Year and The Color of the Country; and, The Rib and Adam by Edward Shenton.  If you are a devotee of Gladys Taber or of reading about the pleasures of realistic country living, then you will certainly enjoy these favorites.



Other highlights of this Reunion included:  viewing an original mural by Edward Shenton hanging in the Chester County Courthouse, Dr. Catherine Turner speaking on ”Lippincott & Publishing in Philadelphia, mid-20th Century”, Ellen Werthheimer relating stories of her Uncle David, recently passed away, who had grown up at Stillmeadow and was often included in the many Stillmeadow stories, and Cathy Weissman presenting “Memories of My Mother, Wilma Phillips”.  Wilma, also recently passed away, was not only a long time and active contributing member of the FOGT, but she lived uphill from Stillmeadow on land that once was a part of the Stillmeadow acreage and which was acquired by her husband Willy who had been one of Gladys Taber’s endearing helpers. 

 

The Friends of Gladys Taber has been referred to as a fan club.  However, the FOGT is much more than a fan club.  The members are kindred spirits who gather together and share to keep the outstanding and timeless literary works and the honest and virtuous character of Gladys Taber thriving.  Gladys Taber had a brilliant way with words, and those words began in her heart.

2 comments:

  1. JUst found your blog looking for info on Sugarbridge farm, which I heard about researching Gladys Taber books..thank you for sharing this information on the farm and some lovely photos! I love the photo of your farm in the Shenandoah Valley! I myself live in the upper part of South Carolina and love reading about country living, especially books written in the 50s or so. Thanks again and I'm so glad to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to add that I love Celestine Sibley too! I noticed you listed her as one of your favorite authors..I wish I could find more authors from decades ago who wrote about country living. I have enjoyed Susan Hill's book, The Magic Apple Tree, about life in the English countryside..I have heard it compared to Taber's books..just thought I'd share that in case you might like that one as well. Blessings from Sparrow

    ReplyDelete