summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, July 12, 2013

Encounter in the Woods


Every time I take a walk along our farm road through the woods I get a bit apprehensive.  I think about the possibility of running into a bear.  This morning was no different.

 

I have never seen a bear in those woods before, but others have including my daughter Becky.  So, my anxieties are warranted.

 

My advantage is that Buddy always takes off and blazes the trail at least three to four times before I even get to a particular section of the woods. He runs down the road and back constantly darting in and out of the understory.  If there is a bear, Buddy will find it first.
 


Today, I did have an encounter…with a box turtle.  Instead of fear, or an attempt at screaming, a smile came over my face. I believe this was the first time I met a turtle in these woods.  I know that I could outrun a box turtle if need be, but that is not a realistic concern.  My biggest concern is that the turtle will be flattened by the next vehicle to use our road. 


 



Carefully, I moved the turtle off the road for its temporary safety.  My hope is that the turtle will continue to meander through the woods, staying off road…

 

…choosing the path never traveled by a hefty machine of steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment