summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

OINK!


This is not a new subject in our household.  In fact, the subject has come up annually for years.

 

That subject would be raising pigs.  Yes, pigs. 



And, the task of raising pigs is not new.  Glenn raised pigs during his high school 4-H years.  Yeah, yeah, yeah…that was soooo long ago; but, some things a person does not forget and that includes pig husbandry.  I hope!

 

But, this time…the one doing the raising is Becky.  Why not? She is raising chickens for eggs, cows for feeder calves and beef, sheep for lamb, and now…pigs for feeder pigs and pork.  

 

PORK!  I love pork.  I was raised on dumplings, gravy, sauerkraut and roast pork - the family’s favorite Sunday meal - nothing better.  My mouth is already watering in anticipation. 

 

So last night, Glenn, Becky, Becky’s friend Colby and I drove one hour to SEE the gilts (young females).  On arrival, we were met by the seller at the beginning of his driveway.  We followed him up the bumpiest, longest, most unpleasant driveway I ever rode on.  When we reached his home and small animal farm, I was so jarred that I did not think I could get out of the truck to walk around.  I did.
 


We looked at the gilts.  We looked at the week-old piglets - so cute!  We talked.  We looked at the gilts.

 



We, I mean Becky, returned with two gilts.  The beginnings of Becky’s pig farming.

 


As for me, I just want to eat pork!

No comments:

Post a Comment