summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Out With the Old


Well, today is the last day of 2013 and...

 

- Matthew left for his return to his duty station

 

- My newest camera is not working - taking photos is on again/off again and transferring them to my computer file is non-existent; therefore, I cannot place pictures on this blog

 

- The computer monitor went blank after weeks of flickering

 

The upside...

 

- Matthew helped with plenty of work around the farm/house, he gifted me one of the rugs he purchased while in Afghanistan (gorgeous), and he left in good spirits

 

-  I have two older cameras that I can use

 

-  Being the pack rat that I am, I still had our monitor from an older model computer - not a flat screen monitor but one that looks and is about the size of a small tv - a much smaller screen, yet useable until we are able to purchase a new one

 

Speaking of pack rat, we (Glenn, Matt and me) spent the past two days starting, and I do mean starting, clean-up of the basement.  Besides all the dirt and dust accumulation, hurried along by the resident wood furnace, we were just one call back away from appearing on the television show, Hoarders. It is probably a good thing that my camera is not working...I do not need any reminders of the 'before'.

 

We started by moving the old kitchen cabinets. They came from our previous home. When we sold the home, the purchasers sold us the kitchen cabinets back.  They were going to remodel the kitchen immediately and our 'new' home had no kitchen cabinets.  We used those old cabinets in our kitchen for years before we were able to afford new ones.  But, unlike the renovation televison shows where everything is demolished, we carefully removed the cabinets for reuse in the basement.  We placed a few for use and others sat around waiting for our next move. Eventually, many years later, Glenn constructed a wall; thus, creating smaller rooms - one of which is to be used as a hobby room, for extra food storage, and to hang the winter laundry for drying.

 

I digress.  In order to move the cabinets into their new and permanent positions, I needed to attend to piles and piles of stuff. Thousands of lidded plastic containers were bagged for recycling.  I kept only a modest, realistic amount for future craft use.  Hundreds of styrofoam McDonald’s cups were trashed.  Glenn is addicted to Big Mac ice tea. I hate to throw anything out that I think we can use again. Fortunately, I was in throw-away mode. One dumpster run down, many more to go.


Thank goodness I had already been recycling tin cans, aluminum cans, paper and miscellaneous plastic for years.

 

I have a lot more to do, but progress has been made.

 

I will continue to clean and toss while Glenn builds a more formal, organized recycling area.  Then, we will…let’s just say there is plenty more to the basement project.  Perhaps, one day you will see the 'after' photo.

 

The year has just ended.  A new day, a brand new year has just begun…

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! 

 

May 2014 bring us all happiness, health and continued liberty!

No comments:

Post a Comment