summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, May 16, 2014

Disappointing Spring


Following an unending winter, this spring had to be the coldest on record since moving to Virginia over 20 years ago.

 

First, many of my perennials and shrubs failed to emerge/break bud this spring. 

 

Then, just as the spring flower buds were about to burst open with color and fanfare, we received several days of freezing temperatures.  My wisteria, for one, normally overflowing with pendulous  lavender blooms that exude buckets of sweetness was reduced to one, yes one - that is an easy count, blossom.

 

The daffodils were fair at best.  The lilac flowers…non-existent.  I am still holding comment on the fate of all my irises.

 

The money plant proved to be a true champion.  This plant displays lovely deep purple blooms that last for weeks.

 
my original money plant location











 
And, fortunately for me, it is growing all over my gardens.  Not by my design, but by the plant’s character.  Once established in the original planting bed, this plant relocated (via wind blowing the decorative seed pods) just about everywhere. 

 

growing among my spiderwort

growing among my daylilies

hiding my chicken yard decoration
growing next to a poppy which is growing in a walkway
growing among the candytuft

growing next to my cut-off miniature barberry...and growing, in what seems to be, a million other places


 


I am glad that I had maintained my reluctance to pull the rebel plants out last fall.

 

Those purple flowers are sheer joy in this iffy spring.
 
 

 


 hummingbird clearwing moth arrived just as I was taking this photo
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Now, the purple rhododendron and magenta azalea are near full bloom.  Both are gorgeous.

 


this azalea is very brittle and the dogs always managed to break a branch or two or three...this is the biggest and the best it has ever looked since I planted and babied it close to ten years now
 
 
 
Spring is turning out to be just fine.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment