summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, May 30, 2014

It Will Get Better


My garden continues to display, or rather not display, the effects of a difficult winter and a cool, wet spring.

 

The early spring blooming flowers were sparse to non-existent.

 

Now, the mid-spring blooms seem to be following that direction and creating an unpleasant trend.

 

The bearded iris and peonies were mostly foliage accompanied with very few blooms.  Both these perennials are normally abundant with flowers, but not this year.  In total, my three peony plants exhibited a paltry three, and uncharacteristically, small flowers.

 

The Siberian and Japanese irises performed better, but the amount of floweing was still less than previous years.
 

 
 
The weeds and grass growing among these flower beds are profuse. They did not seem to be hindered by the negative conditions.  Also, these obnoxious, unwanted species are taking over the spaces left open by perennials that did not survive - ugh!




 
 
 
 
 
So, I take extra delight in the colorful blossoms that dot my gardens that managed to survive the punishing elements of a not-so-kind season.
 

 
As I dig out the strong and well-rooted weeds, as I replant many voids, I continually glance up and out about my garden to enjoy each and every flower that stands strong. 

 

And, I smile.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment