summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Refreshing the Flock

I am not a fan of adding fall pullets to my family farm.
 
But, today, I did.
 
My current hens are barely laying any eggs.  And, the feed they are consuming is way too costly for the dividends, fresh eggs, which we receive in return.  Even though these hens get a lot of free and supplementary food by way of weeds, grass clippings, and kitchen scraps; the bagged and expensive layer mash granules are eaten much too quickly.
the old hens look healthy and productive...notice their bright red and large combs
but their egg production has been near nil for months - they need to go
 
Our local coop was advertising pullet delivery for early September.  Pullet orders had to be made prior to delivery.  I did not order any because, like I mentioned, I do not like to have fall pullets.  Spring pullets are more desirable for me. 
 
Then, I had a change of mind.  I wanted to have a few new layers to replace my old hens.  I asked Glenn to mention to the coop to give us a call if they ended up with extra birds. 
 
They called. The coop received 100 extra pullets and they were looking for a likely buyer.
 
I bought 10. They wanted to sell me all 100.

 
 
 
hmmm...fresh young blood to chase
 
 

Ten is quite enough to supply Glenn and me, and Becky (her 50 layers were all killed one night about one month ago), and even a few friends if these pullets lay as expected.  But…

let me help, let me help
 
Fall pullets mature into prime layers during the winter season  just about the time the temperature turns cold and the daylight dwindles resulting in a decrease in egg production regardless of age or condition of the layers. 

 
notice the small combs on these small chickens...a sign of young, non-laying female birds

 
 
 
There lies the rub. 

 
So, even though I will have new, young layers, their environment will determine their output.  And, winter output is always lower than that of spring or summer.
 

That is the reason I do not like fall pullets.  But, in prospect, a few eggs per day are better than no eggs per week. 

 

Egg numbers will be low.  Feed costs will be high.  But, fresh eggs are fresh eggs.  And, I would rather eat a delicious, home-raised farm-fresh egg than a tasteless, store-bought one.

No comments:

Post a Comment