summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, September 22, 2014

Birds, Birds Everywhere


Some days are good for birding and other days are not.

 

Yesterday was an extremely successful bird watching day.

 

First, early in the morning while attempting to video record our two rams bashing (and do I mean bashing) heads, I heard the familiar honking of Canada geese.  They were fast approaching.  I quickly switched gears from a shoot directed downhill from my position to one up into the sky.  I was surprised at the number of geese that flew fairly low and openly over my head.  What a gift… a perfect exhibition for the cool, crisp pre-fall day.

 

A bit later, as I took my morning walk and as I approached the pond area, I notice a large bird flying around the pond.  My initial thought was that I had just disturbed a heron that had been wandering the shoreline in search of food.  Although still quite a distance away, I continued to watch the bird circle until it took a dive straight down into the middle of the pond.  The bird was so quick, that I did not see it take off from the water, but only caught sight of it again once it was soaring back in the sky.  Almost simultaneously, two other birds of the same size and outline of the first flew low away from the pond area, along a tree-lined fence and were soon gone. 

 
 
Osprey - there is an unlucky blue gill in those claws


I could not make identification at the time, but after some research concluded that these huge birds were migrating osprey. 


 
female Belted Kingfisher

As soon as the osprey left, a kingfisher arrived to survey the pond from the safety of a nearby electric line.  This kingfisher was in no hurry to fish and/or eat and she remained quiet and calm sitting on that electric wire.

 

My daily routine includes feeding the pond fish a few cups of fish pellets.  As I was scattering the pellets over the water from the pond house dock, I noticed a smallish (as compared to the huge osprey) bird feeding along the far shoreline.  Again, just too far to make any sort of visual ID.  So, in leaving the pond house, I walked slowly and quietly near the shore to get as close to this bird as possible.  I got a great look at a gorgeous bird and made some mental notes as well as taking some detailed photos.  I definitely needed my bird book.
 

 
Spotted Sandpiper

Walking past the pond and back into the pasture environment, I was accompanied by a bunch of blue birds.  I have met up with the bluebirds on other days.  The bluebirds fly just out ahead of me, never letting me get too close, but always staying within my view.  I could make out males, females and juveniles. 
 
 

 

My walk continued past a small plot of yellow-flowered stickweed.  I caught a slight movement among the flower heads and stopped.  Was that the wind or was there another bird to watch.  Naturally, another bird (still unidentified by me - can anyone help?) wandered from plant to plant finding and eating what were probably the tastiest morsels, seeds.  The bird’s plumage blended well with the coloring of the flowers making it almost invisible among the petals. I try to keep a sharp eye, even though I need to get my eyeglass prescription updated, out for whatever little bit of nature comes my way.  And, I am usually rewarded.
 
Can anybody tell me the species of the bird?
 

The bluebirds took their leave and were replaced with loud cawing and flight of crows. 

 

Yesterday was definitely a great birding day.  Today was not as great as my only wildlife encounters were with the sandpiper down at the pond and those incessant crows flying above.

  

There is always tomorrow.  And, I look forward to new and old sights and sounds as I proceed through each and every day.
 
 
Variegated Fritillary

 
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment