summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, September 29, 2014

Sights and Sounds


Yesterday, my walk was totally worth my effort.

 

As I neared the pond, actually within feet of the water’s edge, a heron flew up just about in my face.  I was surprised as was that heron. The shore at that particular location was hidden from my view because of a slight slope; thus, initially I did not see the heron nor did the heron see me.  I had never been that close to any heron before and the intimacy, the detail of the physical bird, was amazing.  Unfortunately, I had to look fast as the heron made its way quickly, in his mind, to safety.

 

I proceeded a few more feet and could now see the shoreline.  I noticed some unusual motion.  I was observing bobbing heads though unsure of what kind of heads.  In an instant, six dark birds took to the air and flew in the same direction of the fleeting heron.  I made a mental picture of the unfamiliar species of bird - a water bird, smaller than a mallard, no duck-type bill, and all-over dark plumage.  Later, back at the house, I would retrieve my trusty Birds of Virginia Field Guide and ID the birds as Pied-billed Grebes, a wonderfully new, to me, species to add to my personal birding list.

 

As I watched the grebes fly away, I noticed the resident Belted Kingfisher arrive, lighting on the nearby electric line.  I moved inside the pond house and stood in the doorway of the pond-side door to get a better look from my somewhat hidden location.  But, the kingfisher had left its perch.  Then, I saw a fluttering shadow on the mirror-like surface of the pond.  I looked up to see that kingfisher flapping in place several feet above the water.  In a second, that kingfisher dove into the water making quite a splash.  As she withdrew from the water, she made her way to the fence and was just about to land on a fence post but decided to find a better option.  I watched as the kingfisher circled back and was just about to land on the bench of the pond house until she finally saw me only two feet away standing at the open door.  Once again, without stopping, she circled back and landed in her favorite walnut tree. 

 



Again, within moments of that close encounter with the heron, I have a close encounter with a kingfisher.   I was having a lucky day…more of a jackpot kind of day.


 

I left the pond house and slowly made my way around the pond trying to get nearer to that walnut tree.  One step too many caused the kingfisher to leave and fly over to the bench at the pond house.  Darn!  I was just at the pond house.  I do believe this bird is playing with me.  I continued to watch the kingfisher.  She flew to within feet of my location, did her little flutter in place and returned to the bench.  I think this bird and I are becoming friends.

 

Before leaving my position just below the walnut tree, I looked up and noticed a strange object hanging from a branch.  At this time of year, the walnut trees have already dropped about 75 to 95 percent of their summer’s leaves, so the branches are well exposed.  My conclusion was that this object was a pendulous nest.  What else could it be? I am guessing, by descriptions I have read, that this is probably an oriole’s nest.  But, I am only guessing as I have never seen an oriole’s nest.
 

Any verification?  Any guesses?

 

Just beyond the pond, I met up with the gathering bluebirds.  I do not see the bluebirds daily, but they have been a regular at this location for a couple of months.  The flashes of brilliant blue are magnificent to view.

 

One bird sighting is exciting, but all these exceptional bird experiences at one time were just about incredible.  

 

The last leg of my walk, up the steep Incline, was unnoticeable today as I replayed the recent moments over in my mind.

 

It was only 9:00 AM and my day was already full with delight.

 

Today, on the other hand, began much differently.

 

I was awakened by the chilling howling of coyotes.  This howling has become an everyday event starting as early as 2:30 AM, but easily occurring as late as 6:00 AM.

 

When the coyotes are really close to the house, Sammy goes into quite a barking tirade himself adding more noise to what should be the quiet hours of the day.  If the coyotes are further downhill, I can, at times, hear Avalanche, our sheep guard dog, bark in low woofs. 

 

My hope is that the response of our dogs is enough to keep the coyotes from killing any more our sheep.  (Note: This spring our flock was greatly reduced to nightly coyote killings.)

 
And, I once again, get any early start (4:30 AM to be exact) to my day - UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment