summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, June 8, 2015

Cherry Picking/Pitting Time


Two nights ago, I ended, so I thought, my work for the day by finishing weeding a large section of my garden. It was after 8:00 PM. I felt I had accomplished quite a bit for the day which began with my morning walk with the dogs at 7:00 AM and included straightening the house, making sloppy joes, washing dishes, paying bills, and weeding twice.   I was tired and hungry.

 

I looked up and glanced into our tiny orchard where I noticed our sour cherry tree glowing red. Hmmm…I better go and check out that tree.

 

Sure enough, a good portion of the cherries had ripened and were ready to be picked.  I did not chance waiting another day and letting the birds discover my loot.

 

I called Glenn to see where he was.  Glenn was out in the pasture moving the cattle herd onto fresh grass.  I asked him not to dillydally, as he frequently does, because WE needed to pick cherries.  Glenn loves sour cherry pie.  Promptly, he returned to the house.

 




The cherry tree is small, yet a ladder is still required to reach the upper branches which were full of fruit.

 

Nearing 10:00 P.M., we had gathered the ripe cherries, washed and pitted them, added sugar and placed them into quart containers for freezing. We had three full quarts which does not sound like much, but it is plenty when standing and hand-pitting those cherries at the kitchen counter, so back-breaking, and all before we even had dinner.

 

 
My schedule is full for the next two weeks, so I am unable to make a fresh cherry pie now.  Glenn will have to wait.  The cherry-picking could not wait.  A second picking will be ready in a few more days.  Besides, I am still harvesting strawberries and we do eat those fresh on a daily basis.  A person can only consume so much fresh and delicious fruit in a day.

 

Glenn’s mouth is watering for his first cherry pie of the season…actually two seasons since we did not have any cherries last year. All I can say is…darn birds.

 

This morning, I realized that more cherries had ripened and were ready to pick.  The ladder was still in place under the cherry tree.  Glenn picked while I pitted, and pitted and pitted. This time I made myself a cherry-pitting station so that I could sit and be a bit more comfortable.  It included using a large cooler for a tabletop, large bowl to receive the pitted cherries, small bowl to receive the pits and stems, and of course, the plastic colander of washed cherries which was refilled several times from the large bowl of cherries-in-waiting.  Juice ran down my arms and dripped on my legs and floor, but my back was spared the stabbing pain which I experienced from my earlier cherry-pitting session two days prior.  Glenn picked for two hours and I pitted for five hours.  At the end, we added six more quarts to our freezer.

 


notice the radio to keep Glenn amused while diligently picking the cherries



That is a lot of time spent to harvest such a small quantity of cherries, but then they are fresh and our own.  All I can say now…I hope Glenn appreciates, really appreciates, his cherries. He did mention something about nine pies as he licked his lips.

 

There are still more cherries left on that cherry tree - ugh!

 

Where are those sneaky birds when you need them?

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment