summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, June 5, 2015

PATRICK TAYLOR - A New (to me) Author - On my 'Favorites' List


Recently, I discovered an amazing author that was completely new to my library and my readings.  And, where have I been?

 

I cannot even remember where I first learned about Patrick Taylor and his Irish Country novels, but I am so glad I did.

 

The Irish Country novels are set in Northern Ireland, mainly taking place in the 1960’s with flashbacks to the 1930’s. The central character is a lovable, in his way, country doctor.  (Mr. Patrick is a doctor, himself, and obviously following the age-old advice to authors - write about what you know.) There are also many wonderful supporting characters introduced and continued from story to story.  Within just pages, I connected with these colorful people and wanted to read more and more.  Also, I found the Irish ways and historic medical data, peppered throughout, quite fascinating.  Intertwine the novels with romance, war, family and Mr. Taylor has an appealing formula for success.  I must mention the wonderful Irish recipes and informative ‘Ulsterspeak’ at the end of every book.  You just got to know some Irish language to understand the locals portrayed in these wonderful books.

 

To date, Mr. Taylor has written 10 titles in his Irish Country series.  I started reading the first, An Irish Country Doctor published in 2007, in January of this year and have continued through all 10 finishing with the last a week or so ago.  Of course, you can start reading any book (#1-10) in any order and not be disappointed.  I am an ‘order’ kind of person, so I had to start with numero uno.

 




I enjoyed the books so much that I had to purposely read only a few chapters at each sitting to make sure each book lasted longer.  I could have easily read an entire book in one day as I adored each one so much.
 

The jacket art is by Gregory Manchess and is truly works of art. Each cover is a fabulous essence of that particular book.

 
I have been in e-mail contact with Mr. Taylor and am pleased to know that # 11 in the series will be published this fall (October) and that he is has just completed  writing #12 (2016 publication). Hurray!

 

Of course, I am anxiously waiting for October.

 

Have I sparked any interest in those of you who haven’t read Patrick Taylor’s Irish Country books yet?

 

I hope so!

 

Those who are loyal readers of Mr. Taylor need no further encouragement.

 

Patrick Taylor has certainly earned a prominent place on my very short ‘favorite authors’ list.

 

Kudos to Patrick Taylor…please keep writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment