summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Future Flutterflies

wonderful color and pattern - Mother Nature knows her stuff!
Today while gardening, I noticed a caterpillar on my dill weed.

 


















It was pretty, green and just about blended in with the feathery foliage of the dill to be unnoticed.




I guessed it was a monarch caterpillar because of the coloring.  I was wrong.  On further searching, I determined it was a caterpillar more favorable to a swallowtail.

 

Whatever…this caterpillar was beautiful.

 

The fact that the caterpillar was eating my dill did not bother me as that dill was a volunteer from the previous year’s planting and I have no real need for dill this year.  I had not planned to put up pickles nor had I planned to dehydrate any dill for my spice/herb shelf.

 

That caterpillar was on its own and it could eat until content.

 

In truth, it was not alone.  As I glanced over the dill, I saw another caterpillar and another, and in total, I saw five caterpillars.  They were all the same species, but of varying sizes.

 

I will let all five be with the hope that five future butterflies will enhance someone's world.


Maybe that someone will be me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment