summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Competition




 

I am competing for first dibs on fruit that I grow in my garden.  I am not winning.

 

The strawberry glut has stopped. But,  I am still getting a steady and small harvest from the ever bearing variety.  Those berries are sweetest right off the vine. And, add a little warmth from the afternoon sun and they taste like strawberry cobbler without any baking.  And, no bugs, no birds, no rivals.  Cyndy 1, Opponents 0

 

The raspberries have just started to ripen, but I am fighting the Japanese beetles as well as a few stink bugs and ants. I only get about a handful of juicy, ripe berries per day, but that handful is so delicious.  Cyndy 1, Opponents 3

 

The first picking of blueberries,  from my  very small bushes, produced enough firm blue berries to make a batch of blueberry buttermilk muffins (the dozen were gone, as in eaten, in one day), two fresh fruit cups, and enough remaining for a batch of blueberry buttermilk pancakes - yummy! Initially, I was waiting for more of the berries to ripen before I actually went out to gather, but as I was sitting in the office, I looked out the window, and I saw a mockingbird perched in one of the bushes swallowing plump berry after plump berry at breakneck speed.  I ran for a bowl and immediately went out to pick my share.  Sorry, but do I eat the birds’ bugs? NOOOOO! Cyndy 1, Opponents 4

 

Two days later, and I need to go out and gather a second picking.  Hmmm….more muffins or more pancakes??? No procrastinating this time or the mockingbird will gain another point.

 







The grapes are in the worse shape as the leaves are covered with those pesky Japanese beetles leaving nothing but a tulle-like skeleton of previously green, lush and thick leaves.  The Japanese beetles do not normally eat the grapes themselves, but soon the bees, wasps and ants will - ugh! Cyndy 1, Opponents 7

 
 

 
 
 
 
 


I am in a constant struggle. 

 

Is all the time I spend weeding and wrestling with the adversaries worth it?  For flavorful, fresh fruit…you bet it is!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment