summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, July 13, 2015

Ups and Downs


Today as I walked to the pond, I received quite a surprise bonus.  An American Bald Eagle flew up from its refuge at the water.  This bird was totally unexpected and totally awesome. An EAGLE, so cool!

 





My enthusiasm was short-lived, though.  As the dogs and I made our way back home, we got to an open gate, which we all had to pass through, and I abruptly stopped. We were surprised again.

 

This time there was a black snake fully stretched out across the opening.

 

I hesitated.  I was not going to pass by that snake. This snake is not poisonous, but it certainly can bite.

 

Snowball unaware, walked past me and stopped within one inch of that snake.  He took a quick sniff and just as quickly pawed backwards.  Snowball was not getting near that snake again.  Buddy remained quietly behind us.

 

We had to go through that gate to get home.  If that snake would have just been in our path, we could have walked a wide berth, but the snake was smack in the middle of the opening with no way around except to take a long detour.  The sun was getting warm and I did not want to add another 15-20 minutes to our walk.

 

I looked around. Each dog was carrying a stick.  I decided to borrow one of the sticks.  I took Buddy’s stick and threw it at the snake with the hope that the snake would be scared off.  The stick hit the snake, but the snake did not leave.  The snake just coiled and shook his head…at me. 

 

 
Hmmm…maybe a second stick would be the answer to get this snake moving.  Snowball’s stick was larger.  Again, I made my throw from a safe distance.  The stick landed on top of the snake and,  again, the snake did not move out of our path. That snake only stared at us with its beady black eyes.

 

What was I to do?  As I stood and thought, both dogs sat quietly behind me.  They were not going to be heroic and make any attempt to get that snake to move. They were waiting for me to handle the ‘situation’.

 

I had my phone.  I called Glenn.  I asked him to come and rescue the three of us. He agreed.  Then, at that moment and without fanfare, that snake started to slither away from our direction.

 

Hurray…snake on the move!  Within seconds, the snake had progressed into the tall grass away from our direct path.  I ran through the gate. Buddy ran through the gate.  Snowball just sat and looked at the two sticks.

 

I called and I coaxed and Snowball would not follow. I walked back and forth through the gate several times in demonstration of the safe passage and I picked up the sticks proving the snake’s departure.

 

Snowball finally decided that the snake had left and that it was safe for him to pass through the gate.

 

Snowball, the protector of our lambs and sheep against blood-thirsty coyotes, is not quite the defender, as I discovered, when it comes to snakes.

 

But, as long as he keeps the coyotes away, that is most important.  We will deal with the snakes as each thing arises, and I am hoping that is a rare occurrence.

 

Note:  This season I have seen more black snakes than I have in the past 10 years - I hope this is not a trend.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment