summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Saturday, February 13, 2016

I Am A Fan Of My Winter Garden Until...


 
I really enjoy every seasonal aspect of my garden.  Winter is not quite as colorful as spring or summer, but it does have its unique and appealing differences.
 
In my winter garden, some of my perennials have totally died back resulting in the remaining plants to take a more prominent position.  Some of those plants turn brown, crispy and oddly interesting in comparison to their growing season counterparts. The seed heads that remain are frequently visited by the winter bird population as a food supplement to their diminished food supply.  The leafless deciduous trees show off their intricate branching patterns.  Some plants remain green almost as if mocking the season.  They do not continue to grow, but they do add color to an almost monotone landscape. And, having no plant eating bugs is a real plus.
 
Then, we get a deep snowfall. My yard becomes the proverbial ‘winter wonderland’.
 
Again, a different and stimulating kind of beauty until…the snow melts.
 
The yard is muddy.  The grass is lined with gravel that has been plowed off the lane.  The once-erect and fascinating plants, both brown and green, are flattened to the ground.  Fallen branches, big and small, litter the lawn.
 
What was enjoyable to look at only days earlier is now one unpleasant mess.
 
I am ready for Spring.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment