summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, February 12, 2016

Using My Greenhouse

I have not mentioned all the virtues, and there are many, of our solarium/greenhouse, but I will one day soon.
 
However, I will remark on today’s activity…finally getting around to planting some veggies. 
 
I know winter is almost gone (a bit of wishful thinking on my part) and spring is near enough to think about the planting of early spring vegetables outside, but…
 
I have finally filled four of my 3-gallon root pouches with potting soil which I just purchased doing last week’s errands. I have never used these pouches before, so I am putting a bit of faith in the product.  If all goes well, Glenn and I will still be able to munch a few veggies, our first to be grown in our greenhouse, before any would be available fresh from our outside garden.

 

 
 

 

 
potted Gerber daisy during winter residence I n greenhouse
 
more winter color from this small begonia
 
 

 
I planted Black Seeded Simpson leaf lettuce, Romaine lettuce and Cherry Belle radishes.  I just sprinkled the seeds over the soil, swooshed the top layer gently over the seeds to cover, spritzed with water and covered loosely with plastic wrap to help retain the moisture for germination.  I also planted some Roma tomato seeds that I harvested from last season’s tomato crop.  Those tomatoes were the biggest and best we had ever grown, so I hope I can replicate and the plants will grow true. The tomatoes are being grown for transplanting out in the ‘real’ garden.  I hope that I am starting them at the proper time.
 
plant corner of the greenhouse - opposite corner houses our inflatable solarium hot tub
Quite frankly, I am doing all this without the benefit of any internet expertise.  Not that I did not look, I just could not find any appropriate directions.  So, I am relying on my own basic gardening knowledge.  That could be scary.  At the moment, I am just chalking up the entire process as an experiment.
 
I will let you know if anything grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment