summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, March 18, 2016

Fire on the Mountain


 



Well actually, fire in St. Mary’s Wilderness.
 
Yesterday while cleaning up my garden beds I looked up and saw a ton of smoke coming from the mountain area known as St. Mary’s Wilderness.


 
I called Glenn just to let him know.  If he was still working for the U.S. Forest Service, he would be out on that mountain trying to suppress the fire.  He indicated that he was glad he no longer was involved with fire duty.
 
The smoke continued as the fire climbed up the slope.
 




At night, the actual glow of the fire could be seen from our side yard looking in a northerly direction.
 
I looked out the window several times during the evening hours. 
 
Yep…still burning!
 






Today, the fire is not only still burning, but it is increasing in size.

 
This morning I looked out and saw what I thought was fog rising above the location of the South River.  Glenn corrected my thought process and told me that was smoke from the fire.

 
Glenn opines that the USFS probably decided to let the fire takes it course.  The terrain is very rugged and there is not much to damage in the Wilderness. 
 
And, rain and snow (yes, I mentioned the dreaded ‘s’ word just as we have been enjoying amazing weather, sunny and warm - the daffodils are beautiful and the fruit trees fruit buds are quickly expanding - both could suffer major damage resulting in limp blossoms and a much reduced fruit crop come fall) - is forecast for the weekend. Unfortunately, a late snow/freeze for our part of the country is more typical than rare. 
 
No problem.  I have plenty of indoor chores to keep me more than busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment