summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Making Lemonade - Nana's Irish Pub


Last week I accompanied Glenn on a farm-related errand.  He went to look at a used dump truck which was located approximately two hours north of our farm.
 
The day was sunny and enticed me to leave the farm for this small adventure. 
 
And, adventure it was.  We were met by the seller about 15 minutes out from his property.  The drive made many turns down many back, graveled and dirt roads.  We finally arrived at the subject vehicle where Glenn began his inspection.  The only problem, and biggest problem, was that the truck would not start due to supposedly dead batteries.  It had three. The owner told Glenn over the phone before we even left home that the truck was operational…right.
 
Glenn was not to be put out.  Against my better judgment, he retrieved jumper cables from the back of my car and connected them to the truck.  No luck.  The truck had no life.  And, I worried about my car being used to start a fairly large truck.
 
All the while Glenn was trying to get the truck to show some sign of operability, I was reading.  Since I cannot read with my glasses, I took them off and placed them smack dab in the middle of the driver’s seat where Glenn would see them.  He did not.  As I was immersed in my book, Glenn made a quick move into the car and sat right down on my glasses.  He never felt them.  On his egress from the car, I realized what had happened.  I found my glasses in a twisted heap - ugh!
 
Now, I was unhappy and aggravated.  I called Glenn back over to the car and informed him that it was time to leave. That piece of garbage truck was not going to start. We left as we had arrived recalling all the correct twists and turns of our approach, only in reverse.
 
At this point, Glenn decided to recoup the day, for me, and drive all the way home on Route 11 and not via the Interstate.  I love Route 11, so the trip improved immensely.

 







We reached Route 11 at the town of Middletown where it was lunchtime and we were both hungry.  Glenn left the eatery option up to me.  That is not a decision I usually like to make, but this time it was easy.  We were passing through Middletown when I spotted a place called Nana’s Irish Pub.  I fondly remembered the great meals when Becky and I made our trip to Ireland several years back.  Glenn was not along for that trip.  So, Nana’s Irish Pub it was. 
 
 
 
 
 
 


The Pub was located in an old bank as evidenced by the obvious safe’s door as a focal of the dining area.  The cozy interior was welcoming with exposed brick walls and warm wood.  As we saw prepared food plates pass our table, we knew we had made a good decision. 
 
I talked Glenn into the Traditional Irish Breakfast and it was exactly as I remembered from all the breakfasts I relished in Ireland.  I chose Taigue's Delight. And a delight it proved to be.  Each bite was delicious and oh, so flavorful. We left stuffed and with a small take home box to enjoy the leftovers later.

just like the breakfasts Becky and I enjoyed in Ireland - yummy!

there are three sausages under that delicious onion and apple topping - the Irish Soda Bread is 'to die for'
 





Nana’s Irish Pub certainly turned our disastrous farm errand into a positive.
 
So, if you ever find yourself in Middletown, Virginia, I highly recommend that you patronize Nana’s Irish Pub.  Your taste buds will thank you.






Belle Grove Plantation - just south of Middletown
We did not stop this trip, but we  have visited this grand plantation house several times over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment