summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Friday, September 2, 2016

Prelude To Fall


This morning was cooler than usual.  I actually had to don a thin sweatshirt to be comfortable.



As I left the house with my two canine buddies, I quickly realized that I had more spring in my step than was present over the past several weeks.  I wanted to walk rather than felt that I needed to walk. 



I no longer felt sluggish.  My steps came easily rather than labored. The joy had returned to my daily adventure.  Snowball was more lively, too.  Being a Pyrenees Mountain Dog, with a thick coat of fur, the change in weather suited him nicely.  I could see the sparkle back in his eyes accompanied by a smile on his face…really!



Instead of greeting me, as I left the house to begin my walk, with his usual measured and slow pace, Snowball jumped and ran and ploughed right into me.  I could tell that I would have to be careful and judiciously watch the big guy during our walk.  Snowball has accidently pushed me over once before and I ended up with a severe sprain, my entire foot turned blue and I could not walk for weeks while I recovered.  I do not need a repeat of that incident…ever! His fun could be my demise.  I have to admit that I get scared when I see Snowball running full out heading right towards me.  Quick…what should I do?  Step to the left, step to the right, stay put and hope Snowball veers around me.  I am always a bit anxious that I will make the wrong decision and the wrong move.  Snowball is just having fun…ugh!



What was noticeably absent was the high humidity – hip, hip hurray.  The current season is transitioning to the next.



The grass was also quite dry, so for the first time in months my shoes, socks and feet did not get damp, wet, or drenched, dripping with water, as usually happens daily, a result of heavy dew covering my early morning path.  It was nice not to squeak, slosh or have my feet slide about inside my shoes.   

hazy summer view

today's view - clear and detailed




In addition, the drop in humidity resulted in clearer, more focused views rather than the hazy, blurred views common in summer.  The mountains were now crisp and detailed, no longer the muddle of shapes and hues.  Each ridge, each valley, each green was distinct.  A return to 20-20 vision.



I had come back to my real world or my real world had returned to me.



Of course, this change is only due to last for a day or two until the heat and humidity return. 



Summer is not quite over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment