summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Monday, September 19, 2016

Unhappy Dogs, Happy Us


Unhappy dogs do not necessary translate into happy us, but this time it does.



My dogs are unhappy because I did not take them on their walk yesterday and it looks like today I will not be walking for a second day in a row.



First, I did not walk yesterday because the day before I spent most of the entire day and into the early hours of the next day pickling and canning/freezing beets.



I knew it was going to be a long job, so I asked and got the affirmative from Becky that she would help.  We decided Saturday was a good day.  Saturday came and we verified, so I started without her pulling the beets out of the ground and washing them.  By the time she arrived, about noon, I was already getting tired, so she was a welcoming sight.  She took over the washing while I gathered cooking pots. We had three large pots going at once even though the pots barely fit over the burners of my stove.  The beets were so big that they took forever to fork-soften…hours of boiling.  Then, as the beets came out of the pots, new beets went in to begin the boiling all over again.  I had a lot of beets.  



Early into the boiling process, Becky announced that she had a small high school reunion/gathering/picnic to attend.  WHAT?  She had to leave at 4:00.  It was already 2:00! If I knew that prior to starting this project, I would have rescheduled.  Then, she mentioned that she needed to bring a food item to pass.  My house was just about bare except for a good supply of our farm fresh eggs and plenty of frozen meat.  I suggested making deviled eggs and she concurred.  Now, we had to move a pot of beets off the stove to make room to make hard-boiled eggs.  Well, at least this gave me the chance to show Becky my new, never-fail method, of making hard boiled eggs with shells that slip right off. 



Deviled eggs made with a little of this and a little of that, Becky had to leave.  The beets were still in the pots of boiling water.  And, I still had to slice onions, peel and slice all the beets, make pickling liquid, pack the canning jars and process the canning jars in a hot water bath.  I made two batches of 7 pints each and decided to freeze the rest.  So, off to find and wash freezer containers.  I froze more beets than I canned.

some of the canned beets - they are worth canning for the color alone -
gorgeous ruby red




By the time the last beet was totally processed. It was after 1:00 AM.  My back was aching and I was tired. But, the beets were done and will be so tasty within the next year. I went to bed already making the decision to forego my early morning walk. Thus, unhappy dogs.  They waited at the back door for my appearance along with the cats who wanted to be fed.  Dogs do not understand a change in routine.



Today, Monday, I again decided not to take my walk.  I woke to the lovely and most friendly sound of a slight drizzle which progressed into a light rain.

 

We have been under drought conditions for weeks.  My perennial plants had started to die which is my sign to start watering the plants with the garden hose.  I had been watering daily, a different section of my gardens, for over one week now.  I was just barely keeping the plants alive.



Our pastures, due to our management techniques, were in pretty good shape and we still had plenty of grass for the herd to graze.  Glenn and I took a ride over the mountain to buy apples (my trees did not produce one apple this season – ugh!) yesterday, and we noticed all the pastures were brown and eaten down to nubbins.  We felt a bit of pride because we rotational graze resulting in better pasture quality.  Any farmer can utilize the same technique, but the majority do not.  Their loss.





And, this morning, finally…a bit of rain.  Sorry pooches…I will be holding our walk off for yet another day.


a huge toad was out enjoying the rain, too




As for the rain, keep on coming.  I am not unhappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment