summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Heron Hijinks


Today, I had some fun down at the pond with my little green heron.



This guy resided at the pond all summer, then disappeared on September 1.  I thought he had left on his travels south.  But, he appeared again a few days ago.



But, surprisingly, what I thought was one heron was actually two.  



As I approached the pond, the first heron flew up from the grassy shoreline and flew across the pond landing in the walnut tree.  I thought I had missed another opportunity to get a photo of this guy in flight.  He always looks like a black duck to me when in flight. As I continued to make my way toward the pond house, the second heron flew up, all of a sudden, from pretty much the same location as the first.  I was not expecting a second heron. I pointed my camera and snapped. I had no time to focus.  I just took my chances and hoped for the best. 


looks  like a black duck to me...

I spent another 60 - 90 minutes watching the herons. They perched and preened themselves from fairly open branches in the walnut. (Walnut trees lose their leaves early in the season making my observation so easy.  During the summer, once the heron flies into a tree, it is hidden from view by all the leaves.)  Then, they circled a couple of times over the pond and around the deck where I was sitting.  Little green herons are not very patient.  A Great Blue Heron can sit totally still on a tree branch for hours, but the greens seem to like to be on the move.  I lost sight of them again until I saw heron #2 fly across the pond and into the tall grass disturbing heron #1.  Buddy saw that incident, too and ran to their location.  Both herons immediately flew back up into the walnut tree.  As I left to return to the house, I looked back and I noticed one of the herons fly back into a different section of tall grass along the edge of the water. Within a second, he had vanished. 

two little Green Herons in flight...can you see them both?

preening while in the walnut tree
green heron coming in for a landing...notice the length of its neck - it changes























amazing Green Heron perched on a Black Walnut tree branch...even the walnuts look amazing


This was my most active heron sighting day to date.  Ever!



Extremely good luck or extremely good timing…whatever the case, I was a very appreciative recipient!

No comments:

Post a Comment