summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

summer greens at Mountain Glen Farm

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Nature's Fall Bounty


Today we are having another spectacular autumn day – sunny and comfortable with a breeze.



The black walnuts, acorns and persimmons are ripening and falling from our trees. The walnuts fall with a particularly loud thump.



I have to be especially careful when I walk under a walnut or oak tree.  If I step on a nut, I could easily lose my balance as my foot rolls away from me and I could easily injury myself when my body hits the solid ground.  Walnuts are the worst because they are bigger in size and much easier to roll under foot, but those much smaller acorns can do a trick as well.  They are roundish and they roll, too.  My steps become much shorter and my eyes are peeled to the ground when I walk under the walnut and oak trees.




 I also have to be careful from a walnut falling from overhead.  Those nuts are so big and heavy. I could be knocked out if that walnut directly hit the top of my head.  When it is windy, like today, I hold my hand over my head to protect it from any walnut that might take aim.

 

The persimmon is more forgiving as it is a soft fruit and squishes under foot.  Not as dangerous to my well-being, but a bit messy if I step on too many.



But, I do enjoy seeing the big green walnuts before they turn brown and their outer shell peel off to reveal a much harder casing beneath before you even reach the nut itself.  The acorns are cute with their stemmed caps.  And, the persimmons shine with a golden orange glow, with sunshine or no sunshine.



Nature’s bounty is beautiful and far superior to the negatives it might offer.






Yet, I still watch my step!



 
as of today, the foliage is still very green with just a hint of color change


No comments:

Post a Comment